Saturday, September 3, 2011

Planning Your Herbal Garden!

Besides owning a business I also work full time at the local nursery and greenhouse. Now is the time of the year when we stay busy hanging signs that say, "20 and 30% off!" "Clearance!" "End of Season Sale!" and my personal favorite, "All herbs 50% off!"
Summer is ending and we are getting ready to bring in a whole new variety of plants, so we have to clear out our inventory! So for any bargain shoppers (like myself), now is the perfect time to plan your herb garden for next spring!

My husband and I are so blessed to have just moved in a beautiful home with a huge sun room in the back. When I first saw this room I really had no idea what to do with it, but as fall is approaching I am suddenly falling in love with my new "greenhouse".  This is the perfect time to stock up on medicinal perennials. You can re-pot them now so they keep your house fresh all winter, and in the spring they will have strong roots and be ready to be outside! Of course you do not have to have a sun room, a windowsill will work perfectly!


A few herbs on the windowsill in my sun room.


Not only will plants help to keep the air fresh in your house, but anti-bacterial herbs will kill air borne pathogens! This makes having your herbs inside during the winter even better, since it is the time of the year that many people are trying to fight off the cold and flu! Thyme and Rosemary are just a couple examples of anti-bacterial herbs. I like to keep them growing in my kitchen window so they are handy for cooking as well! 


Lemon Thyme is one of my favorite Anti-bacterial Herbs! 

The most important thing to remember when keeping your plants inside, is that they can get messy! It is best to have holes in the bottom of your pots to insure proper drainage. A tray underneath your pots will catch the excess water, and keep your house clean all winter. Some pots even have built in trays! 


My Aloe Vera with a built in tray to keep things from getting messy. 

Well, I've been spending all this time typing and now I'm off to hit the bargain tables at the nursery. Happy indoor gardening everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment